Taking a quick glance at my Instagram feed, I couldn’t help but notice the overwhelming number of avocado toast pics – I guess there’s a real trend here! So, naturally…it being lunchtime and all, I glanced in my fridge and noticed I had a beautiful ready-to-eat avocado, yummy bread, a small hunk of delicious cheese, and ready roasted garlic (I roast whole bulbs and keep the cloves in the fridge so it’s ready to add flavor to just about anything at a moment’s notice). I threw it all together, added a dash of red pepper flakes, a squeeze of lemon juice, and voila…lunch is served! Here’s the recipe:
- 2 slices of whole grain bread (whole wheat sourdough from Bread Alone is my latest obsession)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 6-8 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1/4 lemon
- sea salt
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- cheese, optional
- Toast bread. It is a “toast” after all!
- While bread is toasting, cut avocado and mash in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Pull bread out of toaster and mash 3-4 cloves of roasted garlic on each. Be sure to spread it out evenly for maximum flavor distribution.
- Divide mashed avocado evenly between the two slices of bread.
- Top with sliced boiled eggs.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top of avocado and add a squeeze of lemon juice to each.
- If you’re adding cheese, distribute between each slice. Enjoy!